If you’re looking for more mid-range and budget accommodation in Mozambique, be prepared to be spoilt for choice! The selection of hotels, villas and lodges are endless and offer great value for money. You might even be tempted to go for a more luxurious option.
Here are our top picks for those on a budget with some mid and higher range options so that you can get an idea of what you’re willing to spend:
Mozambique on a budget.
Villa Espanhola, Bilene from US$70 per night
Tuscan-style studio units and an open-plan thatch dining area create a homely atmosphere at Villa Espanhola, overlooking Bilene’s lagoon. A three-hour drive north of Maputo, the lodge is easily accessible to visitors via tarred roads.
• Unique features: A semi-private beach a stone’s throw from the lodge offers safe swimming along shallow, calm shores. For visitors coming from South Africa, Villa Espanhola is one of the closest resorts to Johannesburg.
• Accommodation options: Take your pick from eight Tuscan-style, air-conditioned studio units. Two feature interlinking doors to the adjacent bedroom, ideal for families.
• Activities: The lagoon features perfect conditions for jet-skis, water-skiing and parasailing, as well as non-motorized sports such as paddle-skiing and windsurfing.
• Dining options: Breakfast is served daily with a set dinner menu available on request. Bilene town also features numerous restaurants and bars worth exploring.
Corasiida, Inhambane. From US$120 per room
Corasiida House is popular with large families due to the fact that it has 5 rooms available, and the entire house can be rente. Direct flights connect Inhambane with Johannesburg, Maputo and Vilanculos. Inhambane airport is approximately 30km by road from Tofo, where Corasiida is located.
• Unique features: Enjoy absolute privacy while the local village and vibrant market are still within easy walking distance.
• Accommodation options: There’s not much more you could want from this double-storey guesthouse, which is ideally located on Tofo Beach. It features five en-suite rooms, each with sea views.
• Activities: With the main beach close by and a diving centre next door, it is an excellent location for watersports.
• Dining options: Corasiida features a fully-equipped kitchen for self-catering guests. But, if you’re not in the mood to cook, head into the village, or try the restaurant next door. Both come highly recommended!
Mozambique affordable luxury.
Naara Eco Lodge, Chidenguele from US$190 per night
This gorgeous eco-lodge is situated on the lip of a lagoon, ideal for honeymooners looking for an affordable, yet comfortable and romantic holiday option. Naara is approximately four-hours’ drive from Maputo on the EN1 (national road), 60km north of Xai-Xai.
• Unique features: 80 percent of Naara’s energy is generated by solar power, making it an excellent option for those travellers who value sustainability. Enjoy some pampering at the private Natura Wellness Centre.
• Accommodation options: Take your pick from 10 luxurious safari tents that overlook the shimmering waters of Nhambavale Lake.
• Activities: Spend your days sunbathing, while organised activities include snorkelling, kitesurfing, whale watching, sailing, windsurfing and fishing.
• Dining options: Enjoy food for the soul at Naara’s restaurant. All produce, vegetables and fruits from the kitchen are organic and sourced locally or from the region.
Bahia Mar, Vilanculos from US$280 per room per night
With stunning rooms and comfort at affordable rates, Bahia Mar is a top choice for those who want luxury accommodation at affordable prices. It is particularly great for health-conscious travellers, as well as honeymooners looking for a break on the beach. Catch a direct flight to Vilanculos from Johannesburg and you’ll be in paradise in no time at all.
• Unique features: Bahia Mar boasts a well-equipped gym and fitness centre. Yoga and aerobics classes also on offer.
• Accommodation options: Choose either a sea-view room, luxury suite, presidential suite, family room or self-catering beach unit.
• Activities: Make the most of the kitesurfing opportunities, deep sea fishing, and island visits to the Bazaruto Archipelago on a traditional dhow.
• Dining options: Enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner at the on-site restaurant, which also boasts an à la carte menu packed with local flavours, vegan and detox choices.
Mozambique ultimate luxury.
Anvil Bay from US$830
Located by the Maputo Elephant Reserve, Anvil Bay offers one of the only bush and beach experiences in Mozambique. It is the perfect getaway for those with a sense of adventure or wanting some much-needed peace and quiet. Driving time from the Kosi border takes around three hours or 3.5 hours from Maputo.
• Unique features: The surrounding area is made up of lakes, wetlands, forests, grasslands, mangroves and pristine coastline. It is also home to one of the last remaining coastal herds of elephant.
• Accommodation options: Wake up with incredible views of the coastal forest. The elegant safari-style Casinhas (little homes) are crafted from natural materials and are perched on stilted wooden decks, steps away from the beachfront.
• Activities: Head out to explore the dune forest trails, where you can catch a glimpse of some of the resident hippos, as well as a variety of birds (around 350 species). In the evenings, bask in the ambience of the campfire
• Dining options: Make the most out of the beach bar lounge and restaurant, which offer fresh seafood and ingredients sourced locally.
White Pearl Resorts by Ponta Mamoli from UD$1 360
Combine with Anvil Bay, especially if you’re in search of some pampering, and those endless beaches Mozambique is known for. Modern and elegant, White Pearl Resorts’ atmosphere is soothing; its setting is intimate and the food is first-class. Road transfers are available from Maputo, and take approximately 2.5 hours.
• Unique features: The elegant suites open onto private wooden decks with a small pool and twin daybeds. It’s the perfect spot to enjoy the sunshine. Staff are also able to organise beach picnics.
• Accommodation options: There are 22 beautiful private pool suites and six beach pool suites with direct access to a private beach.
• Activities: Try some diving and snorkelling but keep an eye on the horizon for whales and a resident pod of dolphins. If you’re lucky, you could see turtles returning to their nesting sites. There is also an on-site spa.
• Dining options: The restaurant is the perfect setting to enjoy mezze platters laden with fruit, freshly-baked pastries and delicious treats for breakfast.
Seen something you like, or still not sure? Get in touch with us here. We know Mozambique and we’re always happy to help.